Amber and Dave have always had healthy kids, but this past summer their world turned upside down when son Max became very sick with severe intestinal problems. As they live in Okotoks, they took Max to the local hospital where tests determined he had E.Coli. The family asked to be transferred to the Alberta Children’s Hospital because they knew he needed to be in the hands of specialists. His symptoms were so severe, he was admitted right away. It was found that while the bacteria were leaving his system, it released a toxin that can cause kidney failure and brain damage. He was put on dialysis when his kidneys began shutting down, and a few hours later, he started having seizures. During his stay, he would ask his Mom and Dad, “When am I going to be better?” Sadly, Max’s condition went downhill within the week. He was admitted to the ICU, became unresponsive, his heart rate soared and he developed a brain bleed. Despite the best efforts of all his specialists fighting for his life right along with him, Max passed away with his family by his side on June 13, 2015.
Just one week after Max’s funeral, his devastated parents were at a loss for words when daughter Maisie started experiencing some of the same symptoms as Max and soon after, was diagnosed with E.Coli too. They feared they were headed down the same heartbreaking path they had with Max. Thankfully, because of the experts of the Alberta Children’s Hospital monitoring her closely, and a milder toxin being released from the E.Coli in Maisie’s case, she was able to fight the infection with no damage to her kidneys or other organs.
Even after losing son Max to E.Coli, the Robinsons know he received the best care possible – the same excellent care that saved their daughter from the same infection. They will always remember the loving nurses who made Max smile and showed compassion to them during their darkest days.