FRIGGIN’ FLY FACTS
It’s the time of year for flies.
• In all there are over 120,000 species of flies ranging in size from 1/20th of an inch to well over three inches.
• One of the things that separate flies from other flying insects are their wings. Flies are the only insects that have only two. All other insects have four wings.
• The flies reputation for uncleanliness is well deserved. Entomologists in China studied more than 378,046 common house flies and estimated that each carried no less than 1.9 million bacteria on their bodies.
• The average house fly lives on average 21 days.
• A flies wings beat 200 times per second.
• Flies don’t grow. They are born full size.
• Flies have 4,000 lenses in each eye.
• Flies jump up and backwards when taking off.
• Average speed of a fly in flight is 4.5 mph.
• Flies smell with their antennae
• Flies will only continue to beat their wings so long as their feet are free. As soon as the feet become stationary, the will stop flying.